Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe

Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe


Obviously, this is not a recipe for delicious meal idea! However, it's one of my favorite recipes because it saves me so much money! I wish I'd discovered a long time ago that you can make your own laundry soap for a fraction of the price of buying laundry detergent. You can make this so that it's fragrance-free which is great for me because I have little ones and a hubby with sensitive skin. I just use a fragrance-free soap but if you prefer a scented soap, you can choose a bar soap with a fragrance. Any bar soap will work! So here's what to do:

Ingredients
1 bar soap*
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
2 gallons water

1/2 cup white vinegar (rinse aid)

You'll also need:
2 empty gallon milk jugs, rinsed clean
1 funnel

Directions
1. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the entire bar of soap into small pieces.

2. Boil one gallon of water in a large stock pot and add soap flakes, stir until dissolve.

3. Stir in borax and washing soda and bring to a boil, stirring until the liquid thickens then remove from heat.

4. Add 1 gallon of cold water to the pot. Stir, then using the funnel, fill each milk jug with your homemade laundry soap.

Use: 1/2 cup laundry soap per load of laundry & 1/2 cup white vinegar rinse

Notes: Works great in high-efficiency washers since there are no suds to this soap. One gallon will wash 32 loads of laundry. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the rinse compartment to eliminate smells, particularly from mildew or heavily soiled clothing. *Some bar soaps are thicker than others. If your laundry soap comes out overly thick, you can reduce the amount of bar soap you use. I use one bar of ivory soap and it comes out just right.

I drew a "Mr. Yuck" face on the lids of my jugs just in case someone grabs this thinking it's milk and tries to drink it! I also lettered my jug to make it a little prettier. I've heard of people using a glass drink dispenser to hold the laundry soap which I think is a great idea!

You may like: