Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce

So, I've been trying different brown butter sauces for awhile now and can't say I'm overly impressed with any of them. Are they all kinda blah tasting or is it just me? After some experimentation of combining recipes I've collected, I finally came up with the best brown butter sage sauce recipe I've made to date. I do cheat and use fresh, packaged ravioli but you can of course get ambitious and make your own ravioli, too. I love this recipe because it's got a refreshingly different flavor yet it's easy enough to throw together on a weeknight.

Ingredients
1 package fresh butternut squash ravioli

Sauce
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp sage
1/4 tsp black pepper

Toppings
1/4 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano 
1/4 cup pine nuts


Directions
1. Begin cooking ravioli as directed. Toast pine nuts until light golden brown.

2. Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic, salt and onions. Sauté onions until translucent. Keep an eye on the butter and remove from heat when little brown specs appear throughout.

3.  Pour brown butter sauce in a large bowl and add lemon juice, sage, and black pepper.

4. Add pasta and Parmigiano-Reggiano and toss to coat.

5. Top with toasted pine nuts and serve.

Serves: 2-4