Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe

It's year two of garden-fresh rhubarb. Unfortunately, we got a whole lot of nothing from our strawberry plants again this year but I'm guessing they just aren't getting enough sun. Thankfully, Walmart's produce didn't look look as bad as it normally does so I got a big box of strawberries because we have enough rhubarb for at least two more pies this year (We just have one rhubarb plant). Since rhubarb is really hard to find at stores around here, I guess I'm happy that the rhubarb does fine in the shade even if the strawberries aren't producing because I can always buy those. Still fresh-picked strawberries are so much better, especially if you grow them yourself! Ah well, maybe next year we'll try a sunnier spot.

So, if you've never had rhubarb pie before you are in for a treat! I've found people either love it or hate it. It's got a sweet-tart taste. I'm not a big pie person because they tend to be overly sweet so this is right up my alley. I like the strawberries mixed with the rhubarb to give it some added flavor. I tried an all-rhubarb pie last year and thought it was kinda gross personally but some people said they did like it. Well, let me know what you think! It's very easy to make, even the lattice crust surprisingly. Here's how:

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tbs tapioca
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
3 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp butter
2 pie crusts
1 egg yolk

Directions
1. Mix together sugar, flour and tapioca. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat. Add lemon juice and toss.

2. Place one pie crust in bottom of a shallow pie pan and add strawberry rhubarb mixture.

3. Dart with butter.

4. Add lattice top and brush on egg yolk to coat evenly. How to make a lattice pie crust.

5. Loosely cover with foil and bake at 400˚ for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.

6. Let cool then serve.

Serves 6-8