I first tried a variation of this easy apple strudel recipe at a MOPs get together. My friend Stacy had made it for dessert and it was amazing! She kindly offered up the recipe and as I was reading it over, I realized how similar it was to my Cinnamon Baked French Toast recipe that's been a big hit. So, I decided to combine the two recipes, plus a third I found online using citrus soda and... voilà! Here you have it... a really simple apple strudel recipe using Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Super easy and addictingly delish.
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup citrus soda (you may substitute with 1 cup water + 1/2 cup sugar)
Icing from cinnamon rolls
Powdered sugar, if desired
1. Peel and core apples. Slice into quarters. (I use this Pampered Chef apple peeler)
2. Open canned cinnamon rolls, slice into eighths. Place cinnamon roll and apple pieces into 9x12 baking dish and spread out evenly. (For softer cooked apples, layer apple slices first then top with cinnamon roll pieces.)
3. Melt butter then stir in sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour mixture evenly over cinnamon roll and apple pieces, then pour citrus soda evenly over top.
4. Bake at 350˚ for 45 minutes.
5. Remove apple strudel from oven. Warm icing from cinnamon rolls in microwave for 30 seconds; pour over strudel. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Things you may need to make this easy apple dessert recipe: