California Melt Recipe

California Melt Recipe

A recreation of my all-time favorite sandwich from the local Whole Foods Co-op, this California Melt is bursting with flavor. Most veggie sandwiches I have tried are so bland. I still order them when I'm out to lunch because I love the health factor but I am usually disappointed. The California Melt made by the co-op, however, is awesome. So, I decided to save some expense and make the sandwich at home when I get the craving for one of these (usually after indulging in a little too much fatty food.) They are a bit laborious to make, so you might as well invite a friend over to join you and make several at once.

Ingredients
1/2 of cucumber, sliced long-ways
1/2 of a sandwich tomato, sliced
1/2 of an avocado, sliced
4 tbsp of pesto sauce
6 jarred artichoke hearts, sliced
4 slices parmesan cheese
1/4 red onion, sliced
4 slices whole wheat bread

Directions
Top two pieces of bread with two slices of parmesan cheese each and toast all 4 slices in toaster oven. Once toasted, spread pesto sauce on the slices without cheese. Layer on cucumber, avocado, artichoke, tomatoes and onion slices. Top with the melted cheese toast.

Yield: 2 sandwiches

Things you might need to make this: