For our honeymoon, Aaron and I took a road trip down the East Coast. We stopped in Charleston, SC and we ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. where we had shrimp and grits for the first time. It was delicious! Aaron ordered it as appetizer and we liked it so much he got it as an entree too =)
Since you can't find shrimp and grits on a menu anywhere up north, Aaron came up with his own recipe and topped it off with BBQ sauce.
2 lb medium raw shrimp
2 cups quick grits
6 cups water
1/2 stick butter
1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup chopped scallions
3 large garlic cloves, minced
8 strips thick cut bacon
Barbecue sauce to taste
Salt to taste
1. Fry bacon to a crisp, crumble and set aside.
2. Peel and devein shrimp. Grill shrimps on a skewer for 2-3 minutes on each side or until pink. (Or fry, over medium heat, each side until pink, about 5-8 minutes total).
3. Saute garlic in 1 tbsp butter, set aside.
4. Bring water to boil, add grits. Stir and cover for 5 minutes then turn heat to low. Stir in cheese, remaining butter, garlic and salt.
5. Toss shrimp in barbecue sauce. Layer grits, shrimp, bacon and scallions in a bowl and serve piping hot. Top with additional barbecue sauce if desired.
|Find our recipe featured here!|