Mediterranean Style Lentil Soup

Mediterranean Style Lentil Soup

I learned a little secret from the chef at one of my favorite Mediterranean restaurants in town. She puts a heavy dose of lemon juice in her lentil soup. Since then people have told me you can also use lime juice but I still prefer the lemon juice. I also use chicken noodle soup as a base vs. chicken broth. I don't know why, I like the noodles I guess. If you're not into it, you can use regular chicken broth instead and it's still delightful and filling. I use precooked lentils so I can whip this up quickly.

Ingredients
1 (20oz) package precooked lentils
1 can condensed chicken noodle soup
1/2 cup frozen spinach
10 baby carrots, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 stalks celery, sliced
4 tbsp butter
2 cups water
1 lemon, juiced
Pita bread

Directions
1. Melt butter in pot over medium heat and saute garlic.

2. Add remaining ingredients to pot. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

3. Cut pita bread into triangles, toast and serve with lentil soup.