Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe

I got the idea to put chocolate chips in banana bread from my sister-in-law. She loves sweets and has got me hooked on adding chocolate chips to pancakes and now to banana bread. I'd heard of using applesauce in baking before and thought that'd be a win-win way to cut the sugar in half while keeping the bread sweet and adding moisture. The crushed pineapples in my favorite zucchini bread recipe makes it amazingly moist, sweet and delicious so I thought applesauce would serve that same purpose here. Here's how to whip up your own batch:

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup apple sauce


As you can see, you'll need 3 bowls.
(Pardon my brown bananas. I waited
a little too long to use them but actually
they tasted fine so it's a great use for
bananas that are past their prime.)
Directions
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, pecans and chocolate chips. In a large bowl beat eggs with sugar, add butter and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in bananas and applesauce. Stir in dry ingredients and chocolate chips until moistened.

Spoon into greased loaf pan. Bake at 325˚ for 1hr.

Yield: 1 loaf

You might also like my Pineapple Zucchini Bread and my Peaches & Cream Carrot Bread.